Laptop Guides at
Bill Giannikos (Home Page)
While Debian GNU/Linux 5.0 already includes a version of the V4L driver drivers, these drivers are under constant development and your TV Tuner card may require a later version than the one included in Debian. Here we will guide you in the necessary steps in installing the latest developmental V4L drivers.
We will be using 'nano' as our text editor of choice but you can use whatever you wish.
While this guide is mainly focused to laptop users there isn't any difference for desktop users.
The drivers being installed here are a developmental set and so may exhibit unexpected results. Make sure you backup your data before continuing.
You should run a full update for your installation of Debian to ensure you have all the latest packages installed.
You will need a working internet connection.
Here are the steps in installing the latest V4L drivers.
1. Load up a terminal window if you are in the graphic interface.
2. Switch to the root user by entering the command “su -” (without the quotes) and typing in your root password.
3. Type in the following commands to install gcc, mercurial and the kernel headers:
apt-get install build-essential module-assistant mercurial m-a update m-a prepare
4. Move to the /usr/src/ folder with:
5. Download the latest V4L modules with:
hg clone http://linuxtv.org/hg/v4l-dvb
6. Move into the newly created folder with
7. Now start the building process with:
This will take a while.
8. And finally we install these modules with:
9. Reboot your computer and the newer V4L modules will be used.